The ASEAN Foundation Student Internship Programme is an unpaid internship programme that aims to provide undergraduate or post-graduate students a practical experience working in an ASEAN organisation. The ASEAN Foundation can benefit from having qualified students to support its current operational needs. For the interns, they will learn about the work of the ASEAN Foundation supporting the ASEAN community building process and gain a better understanding on the nature and dynamics of ASEAN cooperation. The Programme is also a valuable outreach tool to promote ASEAN awareness and student mobility in the ASEAN region.
In 2015, the Foundation strengthened its promotion of recruiting interns. This internship scheme provides an opportunity for an intern to gain experience working in an ASEAN body and to allow the intern to learn more about ASEAN affairs – the work of the ASEAN Foundation to support the ASEAN Community building process. An intern can gain knowledge about the work environment and work ethics as well as skills in planning, management, coordination and administrative.
Up to now, the Foundation successfully recruited four interns, three from Brunei Darussalam, two from Malaysia, one from Singapore, and six interns from Indonesia. All of them spent three to six months at the ASEAN Foundation being exposed to different functions of the organisation – communication (social media), finance, and programme. During the internship, the interns will be supervised by a staff member and is viewed like a co-worker like any other staff member.
The ASEAN Foundation will post the required intern’s assignment, i.e. TOR on its website for interested students to apply. Normally, the assignments are to support the programme, operations, and communication works of the ASEAN Foundation.
The application will be considered according to the priorities of the ASEAN Foundation:
- Relevance of the applicant’s academic qualifications
- Relevant skills and ability to contribute
- Motivation and willingness to work hard
As a minimum requirement, applicants must:
- Be an ASEAN national or holding a nationality of the ASEAN dialogue/development/sectoral partners
- Be enrolled in a full-time university programme at the time of the application and during the internship
- Be currently enrolled in a post-graduate degree programme, or in the third/final year of an undergraduate degree programme
- Be fluent in the English Language by possessing an overall score of 6.5 in the IELTS or an overall score of 79 in TOEFL iBT. Knowledge of any ASEAN language is considered an asset
- Be computer literate.
Download the ASEAN Foundation Student Internship Guidelines
Find out more about current internship opportunities