CALL FOR APPLICATIONS:
ASEAN-China Young Leaders Programme (ACYLP)
The Special ASEAN Foundation Model ASEAN Meeting Plus China 2022 (Special AFMAM Plus China 2022) and The Third ASEAN Foundation Model ASEAN Meeting Training of Trainers 2022 Plus China (3rd AFMAM TOT 2022 Plus China)
Application Deadline: Special AFMAM Plus China - 14 October 2022. 3rd AFMAM TOT Plus China 2022 - 21 October 2022
Submit Applications through: https://bit.ly/ACYLP-CFA
Send Inquiries to: [email protected]
To celebrate the 31st ASEAN-China Anniversary, the ASEAN Foundation with support from the Mission of the People’s Republic of China to ASEAN are pleased to organise the ASEAN-CHINA Young Leaders Programme (ACYLP), inviting youths from ASEAN and China to discuss and brainstorm on improving ASEAN-China ties on various fronts on the theme of Commemorating 31 Years of ASEAN-China Relations.
The ASEAN Foundation inaugurated the ASEAN Foundation Model ASEAN Meeting (or AFMAM) in 2015, held in conjunction with the 27th ASEAN Summit in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Since then, the ASEAN Foundation has been implementing the programme annually (2016-2019) in ASEAN Chair countries. Due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 6th and 7th AFMAM were organised virtually. After two continuous online conferences, the ASEAN-China Young Leaders Programme, through the AFMAM, will be organising the Special ASEAN Foundation Model ASEAN Meeting Plus China 2022 (Special AFMAM Plus China 2022) in Siem Reap, Cambodia and the Third ASEAN Foundation Model ASEAN Meeting Training of Trainers 2022 Plus China (3rd AFMAM TOT 2022 Plus China) at the ASEAN Secretariat (TBC) in Jakarta, Indonesia. With the goals of promoting ASEAN diplomacy within ASEAN and China, the programme will provide participants with an invaluable education experience with vast improvements in decision making skills and knowledge on ASEAN and China affairs.
SPECIAL AFMAM PLUS CHINA 2022
The ASEAN-China Young Leaders Programme, through the Special ASEAN Foundation Model ASEAN Meeting Plus China (Special AFMAM Plus China 2022), invites tertiary education students from ASEAN and China to promote and understand the roles and functions of ASEAN and its external partners through a fun yet educational approach, simulations of high-level ASEAN meetings. The programme communicates ASEAN and its affairs to a younger generation with significant interests in studying international relations and diplomacy.
The programme promises an authentic experience to understand ASEAN and China affairs, as well as to improve essential skills and knowledge, particularly on global awareness, cross-cultural skills, critical and inventive thinking, negotiation, public speaking, consensus-building in addition to the extension of friendship circles across ASEAN and beyond also paves the way for pursuing common visions for the region and the world. YOUR participation enables the excellent opportunity to appreciate the purpose of ASEAN by having the “we” feeling, along with obtaining a better understanding of ASEAN Member States and its external partners, encouraging mutual understanding that leads to the appreciation of ASEAN diversity.
It is also an interactive process where YOU, the students, will role-play as high-level ASEAN officials and partake in a series of ASEAN Plus meetings.
OBJECTIVE: To promote ASEAN student’s interest on ASEAN diplomacy within ASEAN and China through an authentic hands-on simulation experience covering the practices of ASEAN Member States (AMS) in decision-making that address regional issues and equip the students with essential twenty-first century competencies.
Take a snapshot peek of the previous events in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020!
3rd AFMAM TOT PLUS CHINA
Due to the growing interest in the AFMAM from within ASEAN and beyond, the ASEAN Foundation views the importance of sustaining the AFMAM in the long run by encouraging more promotions of MAM at the national, university or local level. The ASEAN Foundation also recognises the need to ensure the authenticity of how to deliver a MAM, whether it is ASEAN in scope or the “MAM Plus” whereby it simulates the processes and mechanisms of ASEAN engaging its external partners.
To address the above, the AFMAM Training of Trainer (TOT) Programme is developed with the aim to train and certify individuals in the AFAMM protocol and processes, in order to expand the reach of the AFMAM programme and strengthen the sustainability of the AFMAM programme by enlarging the pool of qualified AFMAM educators and participants.
This programme covers three areas of competency: Knowledge of ASEAN, the AFMAM Educational Process, and Effective Training. Through the programme, participants will attain the following learning outcomes:
- Introduce participants to ASEAN and how it operates.
- Train participants in the key fundamentals of the AFMAM approach.
- Develop participants to be effective trainers of the AFMAM approach.
- Cultivate a spirit of public-mindedness, emphasising the importance of civic responsibility and engagement with local and regional communities.
The AFMAM TOT Programme will take the format of a three-day in-person workshop, that will be held in Jakarta at the ASEAN Secretariat (TBC). The programme will utilise an interactive and hands-on pedagogical approach and will require participants to be engaged and involved in the learning process. The AFMAM TOT Programme is designed to equip individuals with the fundamental skills and knowledge to become a certified AFMAM educator.
PROCESS AND TIMELINE
The Special AFMAM Plus China 2022 will be held in Siem Reap, Cambodia on-site on the week of 5 to 11 December 2022 and the 3rd AFMAM TOT 2022 Plus China in the ASEAN Secretariat (TBC), Jakarta, Indonesia on the week of 12 to 18 December 2022. Other important dates are:
02 September 2022
Call for Applications
25 September 2022
Deadline of Application Submission
26 September – 2 October 2022
Applications Assessment and Selection
7 October 2022
Delegate Announcement – Special AFMAM Plus China 2022 & 3rd AFMAM TOT 2022 Plus China
10, 17, 24* November and 1* December 2022
Pre-Conference Online Workshop for Delegates
*24 November & 1 December 2022 – Training for Delegates Representing ASEAN Secretariat
20 November 2022
Submission of Position Papers
Week of 5-11 December 2022
AFMAM Plus China 2022
Week of 12-18 December 2022
3rd AFMAM TOT 2022 Plus China
Eligibility and Qualifications
The following qualifications are eligible to apply:
Special AFMAM Plus China 2022
- Enrolled as a student of tertiary education institution taking diploma or undergraduate studies (or equivalent level) from any disciplines at education institutions in the ASEAN Member States when the programme takes place.
- Between 18 and 23 years of age when the programme takes place.
- English proficient, verbal and written.
3rd AFMAM TOT 2022 Plus China
- Participated and completed in at least one AFMAM.
- Between 18 and 26 years of age when the programme takes place.
- English proficient, verbal and written.
Below are the required documents you need to prepare before applying:
- Personal data.
- Full face photo in soft copy (please ensure your file is in JPG or JPEG format and does not exceed 500 KBs).
- Passport/ID that has your face (please ensure your file is in JPG or JPEG format and does not exceed 500 KBs).
- Letter of Recommendation from respective department/faculty/university/education institution for each person (please ensure that your file is in PDF format and does not exceed 500 KBs). This is written in free format on letterhead paper signed by authorised official of your institution verifying: Name, department, faculty, and the current semester you are at.
- List of five most noteworthy personal achievements of each applicant (please share not more than 5 achievements briefly and concisely, do not write a CV!).
- An individual essay that addresses the following questions in no more than 800 words:
- What does ASEAN-China relations mean to you?
- How do you think ASEAN-China relations have an impact on the countries and/or citizens in ASEAN region?
- What is one important ASEAN regional issue that you think needs to be addressed at the ASEAN-China level? What are some solutions that you would propose to resolve this issue?
- A 1.5-minute creative video introducing yourself, what drives you to participate in the ASEAN-CHINA Young Leaders Programme and your passion for developing sustainable strategies.
FOR 3RD AFMAM TOT 2022 PLUS CHINA
- A letter of intent of not more than 500 words, demonstrating your commitment to learn and organise an AFMAM Workshop/Conference in your home country upon completion of the programme (inclusive of importance of ASEAN and youth engagement).
USEFUL TIP: If your video link is too long, please use Bitly (https://bitly.com/), a URL shortening service and link management platform conveniently available online, to shorten it. Please do not infringe other parties’ copyrights relating to your video.
IMPORTANT: Please rename every document using the format: Country (ISO 3-Digit Alphabetic Codes)-Full Name (as listed on Passport)-Document Name (e.g., IDN-Priskila-Passport). Before completing the form, firstly put all your files (be mindful of the required specifications!) in one folder for easy access.
BENEFITS OF THE PROGRAMME
- The programme will be fully funded by the organisers. Includes round trip from city of the country of origin to Siem Reap, Cambodia for the Special AFMAM 2022 Plus China and Jakarta, Indonesia at the ASEAN Secretariat (TBC) for the 3rd AFMAM TOT Plus China, accommodation and meals.
- Enables you to understand ASEAN diplomacy and how decision-makers of the ASEAN Member States address regional issues by involving in the authentic simulation exercises.
- Provides you an opportunity to improve essential skills and knowledge, particularly on global awareness, cross-cultural skills, critical and inventive thinking, negotiation, public speaking, consensus-building as well as leadership.
- An exciting and unforgettable lifetime experience with us and your peers from other ASEAN Member States and China.
- A network of young leaders from across the ASEAN region and China.
HOW TO APPLY
Register HERE (for ASEAN Students). Deadline: Special AFMAM Plus China - 14 October 2022. 3rd AFMAM TOT Plus China 2022 - 21 October 202225 September 2022. Incomplete completion of the form will not be further processed for shortlisting. Don’t let go of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of becoming a cadre of future young leaders!
For inquiries, please contact [email protected].
*****Only successful applicants will be notified*****
Showing 2 reactions
Sign in withFacebook