The ASEAN Foundation in collaboration with SAP, GIZ and Common Purpose is proud to announce its newest programme - the ASEAN Young Climate Leaders Programme (ASEAN YCLP).
Thos programme creates an opportunity for young people to share and exchange ideas on sustainability, environment, and climate action-related issues in the ASEAN region and collaborate with others to resolve the issues.
The programme promotes contribution to the ASEAN Community Blueprint 2025 and Paris Agreement and it revolves around the ASEAN Strategic Plan on Environment that has identified seven strategic priorities:
- Nature conservation and biodiversity
- Coastal and marine environment
- Water resources management
- Environmentally sustainable cities
- Climate change
- Chemicals and waste
- Environmental education and sustainable consumption and production.
Click HERE to apply.
Climate change has been known as an alarming transnational issue that requires global cooperation of all countries and this effort is shown through the Paris Agreement. ASEAN countries have also collaborated through the ASEAN Strategic Plan on Environment, guided by the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community 2025 (ASCC 2025), because of the long-term consequences they have for economic growth and the welfare of their people within the region. Young people across the world have voiced out their concerns and opinions for climate justice, knowing that future is impossible if we keep on thinking that “planet B” exists. With a young mind like Greta Thunberg, leading international climate strikes, has shown the possibilities of youths to lead the fight they can win. This is an opportunity for YOU, who are passionate and creative enough, to be a climate leader.
When and Where?
The ASEAN-Young Climate Leaders Programme will be held from 21 September 2021 to 30 June 2022. Specific timeline is below:
|21 September 2021-7 November 2021||Call for applications|
|7 November 2021-2 December 2021||Shortlisting applicants|
|10 December 2021||Announcing selected applicants|
|17 January 2022– 20 January 2022||4-day virtual programme and projects pitching|
|20 January 2022||First mentorship session|
|February-May 2022||Implementation of projects|
|June 2022||Final Presentation|
Interested young individuals would have to follow the eligibility requirements as listed below and register by submitting their registration form while answering the questions shown in the form. Tertiary education students of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply!
- Youths with ASEAN nationality between 18 and 30 years of age
- Being passionate about sustainability, environment and climate issues
- Having experience in implementing climate change or environment-related projects (preferrable)
- Having good English proficiency; spoken and written English.
NOTE: we strongly encourage ASEAN Data Science Explorers Programme alumni and Common Purpose’s programme alumni to apply.
USEFUL TIP: we strongly suggest to read the questions provided carefully and take your time prior to answering those questions. Your answers would determine if you are eligible to proceed to the next step!
What will you get?
- A chance to have your ideas shared to ASEAN representative bodies, including the ASEAN Secretariat.
- An opportunity to sharpen your cross-boundary leadership skills by teaming up with other young climate leaders of different nationalities
- Enhancing ASEAN identity with the basis of environment sustainability
- Mentors who would assist project implementation
- A network of young leaders from across the ASEAN region
- USD 20,-000 for project implementation
Time will not wait!
Please submit your application by 7 November 2021! Don’t miss the chance to voice out your opinions and be the change ASEAN needs! If you have any question, feel free to send an email to [email protected]
Click HERE to apply.