Terms of Reference for Consultancy Services
|Title||Consultant for the ASEAN Young Climate Leaders Programme
|Direct Report to||Project Manager for the ASEAN Foundation-SAP Joint Initiatives|
|Term of Employment||This position is consultancy-based for a period of 10 (ten) months
starting from 1 September 2021
Three decades after ASEAN was established, ASEAN leaders recognized that: there remained inadequate shared prosperity, ASEAN awareness and contact among people of ASEAN. It was of this concern that ASEAN leaders established the ASEAN Foundation during ASEAN’s 30th Anniversary Summit in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on 15 December 1997. The ASEAN Foundation is an organisation from and for the people of ASEAN and exists because of one vision: to build a cohesive and prosperous ASEAN Community. As an ASEAN’s body, the Foundation is tasked to support ASEAN mainly in promoting awareness, identity, interaction and development of the people of ASEAN. For more information, visit: https://aseanfoundation.org
The ASEAN Foundation and SAP value the importance of partnerships between the public, private, and plural sectors and the role that youths play as next-generation leaders and changemakers to contribute towards sustainable socio-economic developments in ASEAN Member States. Riding on the trail of success since 2017, the ASEAN Foundation and SAP have extended the strategic partnership in 2020 for the next three years to continue creating positive impact in ASEAN under three strategic pillars: Education, Entrepreneurship, and Volunteerism. Under the Education and Volunteerism pillars, the ASEAN Foundation and SAP have initiated to run the climate action and environment-oriented programme, the ASEAN Young Climate Leaders Programme (ASEAN YCLP), targeting the ASEAN Data Science Explorers (ASEAN DSE) alumni and beneficiaries, inclusive of disadvantaged youths the ASEAN DSE programme engaged in 2021, and youths aged 15 to 25. The AYCLP is a programme which aims to provide leadership skills to all participants and engage them to take part in building awareness of climate and environment issues across the ASEAN region and/or necessary actions to address the issues.
The ASEAN YCLP is aligned to ASEAN Working Group on Climate Change (AWGCC)’s action plans and ASEAN Post 2015 Strategic Plan on Environment (ASPEN). The programme is also in line with one of the CSR focused areas of SAP as the programme funder.
The ASEAN YCLP aims to upskill ASEAN DSE alumni in the area of cross-boundary leadership, share common pressing climate and environmental issues within the ASEAN region, and ultimately raise their level of empathy to the issues, shown by their collective commitment and/or actions to run team
projects to tackle the issues.
Further information about the ASEAN YCLP is available HERE.
The inclusion of the ASEAN DSE alumni in the ASEAN YCLP as the prioritised participants is basically the ASEAN Foundation’s commitment to maintain relationships with its alumni and at the same time upskill them with new skills they need to work in a cross-cultural environment, not to mention develop
their sense of empathy toward the climate and environmental issues within the ASEAN region.
In order to support the implementation of the ASEAN YCLP, the ASEAN Foundation will hire a Consultant (“Assistant Project Manager”) to support the implementation of the programme.
This position aims to support the entire implementation of the ASEAN YCLP, a newly designed programme by the ASEAN Foundation with support from SAP, Common Purpose, and GIZ. The position holder will directly report to the Project Manager for the ASEAN Foundation-SAP Joint Initiatives and work closely with him on daily basis. He/she will also be working with the internal team at the Foundation, especially the Communications team, for the promotion and communications of the programme and the recruitment of the programme applicants. When deemed necessary, he/she will liaise with the working partners (SAP, Common Purpose, and GIZ) as part of programme monitoring and evaluation.
The position holder will mainly be assigned to manage the call for applications for the programme (preparing the call for applications package, identifying the platforms for the call for application promotion, promoting the programme through identified platform(s), developing programme communications and promotion plan, responding to inquiries from applicants, identifying relevant
stakeholders to engage in the shortlisting of the applicants, and maintaining communication with the shortlisted applicants), provide support to the virtual 4-day event as the main activity of the programme, liaise with SAP, GIZ, and Common Purpose as part of programme monitoring and evaluation, and communicate with the shortlisted applicants for programme knowledge management and promotion purposes. He/she will also undertake administrative staff related to the programme such as processing payments, preparing e-certificates, and preparing official letters.
Develop and maintain effective, collaborative relationships with the following:
Internal (within Post)
- Executive Director
- Head of Programme
- Head of Communications
- Head of Operations
- All staffs of the Foundation
External (outside Post)
- Common Purpose
- ASEAN Secretariat
DUTY STATION AND DURATION OF ASSIGNMENTS
The duration of consultancy will be from 1 September 2021 to 30 June 2022 and can be done remotely.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The selected Consultant is required to support the following tasks:
- Promotion of the ASEAN YCLP programme and the call for applications
- Recruitment of the participants
- Coordination on the shortlisting of the registered participants
- Assisting and supporting the logistical preparation of the virtual 4-day programme
- Assisting and supporting the monitoring and evaluation of the programme
- Liaising with the participants for the purposes of programme knowledge management and promotion
DELIVERABLES AND TIMELINE
The selected Consultant is responsible to achieve the following deliverables within a specified timeline:
|1.||Development of social media plan on the promotion of the programme and the call for applications||By 10 September 2021|
|2.||Implementation of the social media plan||13 September 2021 – 30 June 2022|
|3.||Development of relevant documents/platforms required for
the call for applications
|By 10 September 2021|
|4.||Development of relevant documents/platforms for shortlisting the applicants||By 24 September 2021|
|5.||Coordination on the shortlisting of the applicants||8 November 2021 – 3
|6.||Support to the implementation of the main activity of the programme (virtual 4-day programme)||January 2022|
|7.||Support to the implementation of the monitoring and evaluation of the programme||January 2022 – May 2022|
|8.||Support to the ASEAN DSE programme (considering the Consultant’s workloads)||September 2021 – June 2022|
Interested individual is required to meet the following requirements:
Education and Experience
- A minimum of Bachelor Degree in Management, Public Administration,
International/Development Studies or related fields
- A minimum of two (2) years of working experience in administrative and finance positions within the international development area
- Excellent team working and interpersonal skills including dealing both directly and indirectly with government officials at various levels.
- Knowledge of project management or programme management methodologies
Qualifications and Technical Skill
- Good English and Indonesian oral and written communication skills.
- Good command of Microsoft Office applications.
- Possess initiative, reliability, and honesty.
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Experience in working as part of a large programme or project team
- Ability to travel internationally up to 10% (when deemed necessary)
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of the ASEAN Foundation. This includes effective negotiation and representation skills;
- Flexible, creative, responsive, able to take initiative, reliable, able to follow through on tasks, able to work within systems and procedures, open to learning, able to work effectively in a small team environment involving the sharing of information and at times sharing workloads;
- Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress
- Well-planned and organised even within a fluid working environment and has a capacity for initiative and decision making with competent analytical and problem-solving skills.
A lump sum monthly consultancy fee will be provided commensurate with the qualification and
All interested applicants to send application, stating “Consultant for ASEAN YCLP” on the subject line, with the following documents to [email protected] CC [email protected] – (a) application letter to include a cover letter and curriculum vitae and (b) 3 references list and expected monthly consultancy fee.
13 August 2021
Send any inquiries to [email protected]