Terms of Reference
|Title||Communications Officer for ASEAN Digital Literacy Programme|
|Classification||Locally Recruited Staff – Level 3|
|Report to||Head of Communications|
|Matrix Report to||Project Manager for ASEAN Digital Literacy Programme|
|Term of Employment||This position is a non-ongoing position for an initial period of one year starting in May 2022, after which the position will be evaluated subject to organisation’s needs and regular performance review.|
Three decades after ASEAN was established, ASEAN Leaders recognised that: there remained inadequate shared prosperity, ASEAN awareness and contact among people of ASEAN. It was of this concern that ASEAN Leaders established the ASEAN Foundation during ASEAN’s 30th Anniversary Commemorative Summit in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on 15 December 1997.
After its establishment, the ASEAN Foundation has been tasked to support ASEAN’s community building efforts by promoting greater awareness of the ASEAN identity, human resource development, people-to-people interaction, and close collaboration among the business sector, civil society, academia and other stakeholders in ASEAN.
Amid COVID-19 crisis, viral online misinformation and disinformation are spreading unchecked, to the point that the World Economic Forum identified it as one of the biggest threats to society. ASEAN is also not immune to this threat. Young people are among the most vulnerable groups who are prone to radicalisation, hate speech, false news and intolerance.
Based on UNESCO study, 54% of youth respondents didn’t know how to respond to hate and extremist material they encounter online. However, on a more encouraging note, 92% of youth respondents embraced the idea that media and information literacy competencies can help to empower young people to protect themselves from radical and extremist groups and counter hate speech online.
ASEAN is taking a concrete step to prevent misinformation and disinformation. In 2018, the ASEAN Ministers Responsible for Information adopted the Framework and Joint Statement to Minimise the Harmful Effects of Fake News. ASEAN has also launched its ASEAN Digital Literacy, which aims to promote greater cybersecurity as part of the fight against online disinformation. In addition, 2021 saw ASEAN develop a guideline of Training of Trainers programme that targets secondary school teachers, university tutors and lecturers to improve the digital information literacy of young people.
As a way to contribute to the effort, the ASEAN Foundation with the support of Google.org will implement ASEAN Digital Literacy Programme in the first quartal of 2022. The regional programme aims to a regional initiative aimed at combating misinformation and disinformation in the region by providing digital literacy training for youth, teachers, parents, community leaders and government officials in collaboration with local implementing partners.
The programme will include a strong awareness campaign element to ensure that the importance of media and information literacy is better understood by wider audience and inspire people to become agent of change that can help detect and prevent hoaxes and fake news from spreading. In order to implement a successful awareness campaign, a capable Communications Officer with experience in organising regional campaign and is digital savvy is critically important.
The Communications Officer will mainly be responsible for implementing the day-to-day communications activities which will contribute to the overall goal of the campaign of ASEAN Digital Literacy Programme. One of the key roles of the Communications Officer is to collaborate with local implementing partners and selected youth in the youth advisory group to deliver impactful regionwide and nationwide awareness campaigns on digital literacy. At the same, the Communications Officer will also assist the Communications Team of ASEAN Foundation in managing the corporate communications of the Foundation.
The Communications Officer is expected to utilise the ASEAN Foundation’s communications channels, including social media, website and podcast, and media network to strengthen the promotion of the programme and the Foundation. In carrying out the role, the Communications Officer will closely work with the Project Manager for ASEAN Digital Literacy Programme and Heads of Communications under the guidance of Executive Director of ASEAN Foundation. The Communications Officer is also expected to liaise with Google.org and other key partners relevant to the programme and ASEAN Foundation.
The Communications Officer is also required to develop and maintain effective, collaborative relationships with the following people:
Internal (within Post) – first layer:
- Project Manager for ASEAN Digital Literacy Programme
- Project Associate for ASEAN Digital Literacy Programme
- Head of Communications
- Digital Communications Coordinator
- In-house Designer
Internal (within Post) – second layer:
- Head of Programme
- Programme Management Coordinator
- Programme Support Officer
- Head of Operations
- Finance and Administration Officer
External (outside Post) – first layer:
- Google Asia Pacific
- Local implementing partners
- Government Institutions
- Youth advisory group
External (outside Post) – second layer:
- ASEAN Secretariat
- Other potential partners
Summary of Key Functions
ASEAN Digital Literacy Programme (80%)
Social Media Management
- Develop robust social media strategy for the programme that can be seamlessly integrated with the overall communications strategy.
- Produce social media contents independently, including, but not limited to, videos, animations, infographics, by taking account the social media platforms and the audience.
- Develop efficient and scalable social media posting schedule.
- Explore ways to add value to infographics, photos and videos used as social media visual to amplify the impact of captions.
- Conduct monthly social media monitoring and provide brief analysis report on social media performance.
- Ensure seamless coordination with website consultant in developing the ASEAN Digital Literacy Programme’s website.
- Propose visual direction for the programme website that can be used by the developer as guidance.
- Harness Google Analytics to monitor and identify what can be improved from the programme website.
- Formulate scalable schedule to blast programme e-newsletter via Mailchimp consistently.
- Develop engaging e-newsletter contents to strengthen the promotion of ASEAN Digital Literacy Programme.
- Social Media Management
- Lead in the writing of programme-related press release and article.
- Leverage partners’ media network to promote the programme.
- Engage and maintain good relationship with journalists.
- Ensure that all publications of the programme succeed in generating positive public sentiments.
- Lead in the development of communications products for programme-related launch events, workshops and exhibitions by working together with in-house designer.
- Ensure engaging and seamless live streaming activities in collaboration with live stream consultant.
Other Communications and Outreach Tasks
- Develop speeches and PowerPoint slides for Executive Director and Project Manager.
- Develop success stories about the programme and its beneficiaries which will be used to promote digital literacy.
- Lead in the coordination with relevant communications vendors and consultants to ensure the success of the programme.
- Execute other communications and outreach tasks as assigned.
Corporate Communications (20%)
Social Media Management
- Propose engaging contents about ASEAN awareness to be promoted on social media.
- Assist in identifying creative strategy to further boost the Foundation’s social media platforms.
- Seek for possibilities to do a social media cross-promotion with other ASEAN entities, regional partners and local organisations.
- Contribute contents to be included into the Foundation’s monthly e-newsletter.
- Assist in increasing the effectiveness of the Foundation’s Mailchimp e-newsletter.
- Develop a media database that can be integrated into the main database of the Foundation.
- Identify opportunities to promote the work of ASEAN Foundation on media.
- Contribute an article piece for the ASEAN Magazine and other relevant media.
- Contribute in building and maintaining the Foundation’s good reputation among media.
- Assist in organising the Foundation’s internal events, such as board of trustees’ meeting, alumni townhall and committee of permanent representatives’ webinar.
Other Communication and Outreach Tasks
- Develop speeches and PowerPoint slides for Executive Director.
- Execute other communication and outreach tasks as assigned.
- Social Media Management
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Communications (Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing and Communications).
- A maximum of 5 years of experience in communications field.
Qualifications and Technical Skill
- Excellent Microsoft Word and Microsoft PowerPoint skills, complemented by basic Microsoft Excel skill. Familiarity with other Microsoft Office’s applications is a plus.
- Familiar with video and photo editing.
- Digital savvy (in digital platforms such as website, social media, podcast, analytics, Mailchimp, etc.)
- Fluent in English (especially written).
- Good understanding of strategic communications (development of communications work plan).
- Good understanding of digital trend in ASEAN.
- Good campaign monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Ability to respect communication protocol and procurement processes.
- Strong journalistic writing skill.
- Good experience in developing and executing regionwide and/or big national level awareness campaign.
- Good understanding of branding.
- Willingness to go beyond job description.
- Ability to be flexible by adapting quickly to changing priorities.
- Highly motivated self-starter able to work with minimal supervision and direction.
- Strong interpersonal, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Comfort with managing diverse tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent attention to detail, both written and numerical, and commitment to quality.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to work with partners in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of the ASEAN Foundation, and this includes effective presentation skills.
- Has the ability to work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should send their applications to [email protected] and [email protected] in Cc, with email subject of CO_AF2021. The applications must consist of the following documents:
- CV (in PDF, maximum 2 pages)
- Cover letter (in PDF), stating which position you are applying for, why you are applying, and how you may qualify for the position
- Portfolio and/or sample of work
Deadline for Application
22 April 2022