TERMS OF REFERENCE
THE ASEAN SOCIAL ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME 2.0.
(ASEAN SEDP 2.0.)
May 2023 – December 2023
Continuing the success of ASEAN Social Enterprise Development Programme (SEDP) Phase 1 in 2021, the ASEAN Foundation – with support from TikTok and SAP – is implementing the ASEAN SEDP 2.0 in 2023 with a goal of empowering social enterprises across the ASEAN region through promoting productivity, technology, and innovation, increasing access to finance, enhancing market access and internationalisation, and promoting entrepreneurship and human capital development. The ASEAN SEDP 2.0 will serve as an accelerator programme that aims to provide customised capacity building training and mentorship tailored to the needs of the participants. In addition, it will also facilitate access to market and provide seed funding for 20 youth-led social enterprises in
ten ASEAN countries.
Participants of this programme are 20 youth-led social enterprises based in ASEAN, with founder or co-founder within 15-35 years old and is ASEAN national. The social enterprises already generate some income and are at least in the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage. This programme also welcomes social enterprises that are in Product Market Fit (PMF) and growth stage. Once the 20 social enterprises are selected, the ASEAN Foundation will explore in more details about the lessons/materials they wish to learn during the training and mentorship. The virtual capacity building training and mentorship will take place in parallel for 3 months (July to October 2023), with a four-day offline training in October or November 2023. This capacity building will provide them with an avenue to have a better understanding of their business in terms of their strengths and weaknesses and opportunities as well as threats
At the end of the programme, there will be a Demo Day where 20 social enterprises will have the opportunity to pitch their business plans and potentially win seed grants of up to $30,000. During Demo Day, the ASEAN Foundation, partners, venture capitalists (VCs), and trainers will assess the presentations of the 20 social enterprises. The ones with the strongest pitches and business plans will be awarded seed grants to support their businesses. In addition, during the programme, participants will have the opportunity to showcase their impacts and engage with the national and ASEAN policymakers.
The main purposes of the consultancy are to assist the ASEAN Foundation:
- Design a quality curriculum, learning methodology, and structure of the ASEAN SEDP 2.0. that meet the needs of 20 selected social enterprises. This includes finding suitable and highly experienced trainers and mentors. Participants are at the centre of this programme. Therefore, an interactive learning is highly recommended;
- Gather a diverse network of policymakers and venture capitalists to improve the visibility and access to finance for the 20 selected social enterprises;
- Ensure the programme generates remarkable impacts. This includes measuring the impact of the ASEAN SEDP 2.0;
- Shortlist and select 20 qualified youth-led social enterprises to join the programme.
SCOPE OF WORK
The ASEAN Foundation is looking for a consultant for ASEAN SEDP 2.0. The consultant will work closely with the Project Coordinator of ASEAN SEDP and will perform the following responsibilities:
- Develop the framework for ASEAN SEDP 2.0. curriculum by accommodating the needs of 20 selected social enterprises;
- Compile the work of all writers (trainers) into a single training module document.
- Assist the ASEAN Foundation team to find trainers and mentors. Trainers will be responsible to write the training module and teach in the Master Class (training sessions);
- Assist the ASEAN Foundation team to find investors for Demo Day;
- Recommend names of judges for Demo Day.
- Assist the ASEAN Foundation team to develop selection criteria to shortlist 30 youth-led social enterprises which will be invited for interview;
- Become one of the panellists to interview the shortlisted social enterprises.
Impact Measurement and Advisory
- Develop pre-test and post-test to measure the impact of the ASEAN SEDP 2.0.;
- Provide advisory inputs to ensure the 20 social enterprises participants benefit from the programme.
The consultancy will take place from mid-May to early December 2023. The estimated timeframe does not reflect the actual number of working days, but the recommended time to complete tasks and deliverables. Below is the detailed timeframe:
|No||Time||Tasks and Deliverables|
|1||3rd week of May||
|2||4th week of May||
|3||5th week of May||
|4||1st week of June||
|5||2nd week of June||
|6||5th week of June||
|7||1st week of July||
|8||July to December||
- Experience in developing curriculum for social enterprises, preferably in ASEAN countries
- Experience in impact measurement
- Experience in working in ASEAN context
- Experience in working with young people and incorporate participatory methods of young people in the programme delivery
- Has diverse networks of social entrepreneurs, trainers, mentors, investors in Southeast Asian countries
- Demonstrate the ability to work under a tight schedule and deliver timely and high-quality materials
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a team
- Flexible in revision and accommodating inputs
- Familiar with video conferencing platform (Ms Teams and/or Zoom) to coordinate with the ASEAN Foundation team
- Flexible in working in multi-stakeholder setting and experience in working in cross-cultural working environments
- Experience in conducting similar training and mentoring programme for social enterprises
- Experience in consultancy work
- Gender-sensitive: Demonstrate experience in working with female social entrepreneurs and expertise in developing curriculum suitable to their needs
- Has diverse networks of policymakers in Southeast Asian countries
A lump sum quotation is required, including fees for delivering all the required services. The price written in the proposal should indicate a “lump sum amount” which is “all inclusive” for the tasks specified in the Terms of Reference. Payment will be linked to deliverables.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send an application which consists of:
- Consultant profile outlining: (1) areas of expertise (with samples of relevant works), (2) networks of social entrepreneurs, mentors, trainers, investors, policymakers in Southeast Asia that would benefit the ASEAN SEDP 2.0, (3) CV of all team members that will be involved in the consultancy and their roles in the consultancy
- A technical proposal (5-10 pages) on the learning methodology and curriculum structure, i.e. a list of lessons/materials for the training. The technical proposal should also: (1) explain why you propose such lessons/materials, and (2) include a list of potential trainers and mentors for each lesson/material, and a short bio of each trainer/mentor
- A lump sum financial quote (in US Dollar) that includes all expected costs for the consultancy period.
Please submit the application documents by 20 May 2023 (23.59 Jakarta time) with email subject “ASEAN SEDP 2.0 Consultant” to [email protected] and cc to [email protected] and [email protected]. Any enquiries can be addressed to [email protected].