Digital Communication Officer
Locally Recruited Staff – Level 3
Term of Employment
This position is a non-ongoing position for an initial period of one (1) year starting in 2020, after which the position will be evaluated subject to organisation’s needs and regular performance review.
Three decades after ASEAN was established, ASEAN Leaders recognised that: there remained inadequate shared prosperity, ASEAN awareness and contact among people of ASEAN.
It was of this concern that ASEAN Leaders established the ASEAN Foundation during ASEAN’s 30th Anniversary Commemorative Summit in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on 15 December 1997.
After its establishment, the ASEAN Foundation has been tasked to support ASEAN’s community building efforts by promoting greater awareness of the ASEAN identity, human resource development, people-to-people interaction, and close collaboration among the business sector, civil society, academia and other stakeholders in ASEAN.
We continue to complement ASEAN priorities. To date, we work to strengthen the ASEAN Community.
We work in four thematic areas of education, arts and culture, media development and community building. We provide support in the form of scholarships, fellowships internships and exchanges. We organize meetings, conferences, roundtables and workshops in support of the ASEAN Community.
The Digital Communication Officer (DCO) will mainly be responsible for handling the ASEAN Foundation’s social media platforms and websites by working closely with the staff of communication and programme units under the supervision of the Communication Manager and the guidance of the Executive Director. The position covers roles such as creating social media contents, populating websites, monitoring the performance of social media platforms, and assisting other communication tasks as required.
The DCO is required to develop and maintain effective, collaborative relationships with the following:
Internal (within Post)
Head of Finance and Administration
All ASEAN Foundation staff
External (outside Post)
ASEAN Secretariat and other ASEAN organs
Summary of Key Functions
Social Media Administration (50%)
- Develop comprehensive and robust social media strategy that can be seamlessly integrated with the overall communication strategy.
- Propose and improve ideas for social media contents by brainstorming with colleagues from communication and programme units.
- Produce social media contents independently, including, but not limited to, videos, animations, infographics, by taking account the social media platforms and the audience.
- Develop efficient and scalable social media posting schedule.
- Explore ways to add value to infographics, photos and videos used as social media visual to amplify the impact of captions.
- Seek for possibilities to do a social media cross-promotion with other ASEAN entities, regional partners and local organisations.
- Ensure that all final social media contents are typo-free and use appropriate visuals prior to circulation.
- Conduct monthly social media monitoring and provide brief analysis report on social media performance.
- Harness the social media intelligence application to identify social media aspects that can be improved.
- Improve the social media procedure of the Foundation.
Website Administration (30%)
- Propose and improve ideas for the contents of the ASEAN Foundation’s and its programmes’ websites.
- Create, develop and coordinate SEO and SEM actions and campaigns.
- Explore ways to utilise social media platforms to boost visit to the ASEAN Foundation’s and its programmes’ websites.
- Conduct monthly website monitoring and provide brief recommendation on what to improve.
- Take a leading role in coordinating with website developers.
- Harness Google Analytics application to identify website aspects that can be improved.
- Improve the website administration procedure of the Foundation.
Event Management (15%)
- Assist in developing communication products for launching events, workshops and exhibitions and liaise with vendors.
- Coordinate the social media live streaming activities, such as Facebook Live and Instagram Story.
- Coordinate the photo-taking and video-taking activities of all events by using communication protocol as a guidance.
Other Communication and Outreach Tasks (5%)
- Support the development of press releases and speeches.
- Assist in taking pictures and photos of events.
- Execute other communication and outreach tasks as assigned.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor Degree in Communication.
- A maximumof 3 years of experience in digital communication.
Qualifications and Technical Skill
- Excellent Microsoft Office and digital skills (web and social media).
- Fluent in English (especially written).
- Proficient in managing and organising contents.
- Good understanding of digital trend in ASEAN.
- Good campaign monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Ability to respect communication protocol and procurement processes.
- Work experiences in agency and savvy in executing regional-level communication campaign are an advantage.
- Ability to be flexible by adapting quickly to changing priorities.
- Highly motivated self-starter able to work with minimal supervision and direction.
- Strong interpersonal, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Comfort with managing diverse tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent attention to detail, both written and numerical, and commitment to quality.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to work with partners in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of the ASEAN Foundation, and this includes effective representation skills.
- Has the ability to work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com in Cc, with email subject of DCO_AF2020. The applications must consist of the following documents:
- CV (in PDF, maximum 2 pages)
- Cover letter (in PDF), stating which position you are applying for, why you are applying, and how you may qualify for the position
No other supporting documents, such as copies of letters, certificates, publications, or writing samples should be submitted, as they will not be considered as part of the application process.
Deadline for Application
27 December 2019