Term of Reference
Locally Recruited Staff – Level 4
Accounting and Finance Officer
Term of Employment
This position is a non-ongoing position for an initial period of 1 year, after which the position will be evaluated subject to the organization needs and regular performance review.
The Finance Manager is a key member of the organisation’s upper-level management team reporting directly to the Executive Director. S/He is responsible for analyzing and evaluating the financial sustainability of AF’s existing and future programs. S/He is also responsible for planning, directing and supervising the overall financial functions of AF, including Finance and Accounting, Internal Control, Grant and Contract Management. The position will monitor the organization’s financial health and provide strategic planning for the development of current and long-term organizational goals and objectives, as well as policies and procedures for AF operations, to improve the organization’s efficiency and effectiveness in performing activities and achieving its mission.
Areas of program responsibility include, but are not limited to, accounting, budgeting, financial analysis and reporting, cash flow management, invoice management, grant and contract management, payroll, asset management, procurement, corporate and payroll taxes, audit, information systems.
Develop and maintain effective, collaborative relationships with the following:
Internal (within Post)
- Executive Director
- All Official Staff of the ASEAN Foundation
External (outside Post)
- Bilateral and Multi-lateral Donors;
- Implementing Partners;
- ASEAN Secretariat; and
- Board of Trustees.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist the Executive Director in coordinating and managing financial, procurement, fixed asset and administration of the ASEAN Foundation;
- Implement and assist in the development, review and maintenance of the Foundation policy and strategy;
- Contribute to the overall leadership, strategic planning and management of the ASEAN Foundation;
- Maintain and develop organizational culture, values and reputation with all staff, partners, and other external stakeholders;
- Represent ASEAN Foundation in meetings, ceremonies, seminars and other events as assigned.
Finance and Accounting
- Provide an accurate and timely financial service, including setting and monitoring of budgets, forecasts, cash flow analysis, management and financial accounts and advice and support to inform decision making at all level;
- Coordinate the preliminary financial appraisal of project proposals and the final financial recommendations to be submitted to the Executive Director and the Board of Trustees and prepare correspondences and reports as well as provide suggestions and recommendations on the improvement of financial aspects of project management and possible impact assessment.
- Monitor and evaluate periodically the investment and management of the ASEAN Foundation funds, assists in the fund-raising endeavours of the ASEAN Foundation and the liaison with donors and partners.
- Prepare the annual budget of the ASEAN Foundation, monitor, and evaluate fund utilisation and compliance at periodic intervals and assist in the financial auditing process.
- Assist the Executive Director with financial reporting as required at Board meeting and the Annual General Meetings;
- Ensure that the financial system and records are current and provide a consistent basis for financial reporting to both internal and external users, in compliance with Indonesian Financial Accounting Standards, AF financial policies and procedures, donor requirements, partner requirements, and all other applicable laws, rules and guidelines. Financial record maintenance includes budgeting, cash management, cash flow management, payroll, tax issues, and variance and account analysis;
- Ensure full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with the ASEAN Foundation rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system;
- Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for development and management projects;
- Oversee the consistent and timely preparation of Monthly/Quarterly/Midyear reports and Annual Financial Statements, as well as financial reports to donors and stakeholders;
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger closing, balance sheet reconciliations and organization’s overhead cost allocation;
- Lead in preparing and monitoring the overall annual and mid-year budgeting process, as well as budget analysis and assumptions for new proposal development. This includes preparing correspondences and reports as well as providing input and recommendations on the improvement of financial aspects of project management and risk analysis;
- Elaborate and implement cost-saving and reduction strategies;
- Routinely monitor financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigate anomalies or unusual transactions;
- Oversight of all restricted funds, including the financial elements of grant applications & claims, monthly reconciliation of all restricted fund accounts; and
- Evaluate the need for new technology to meet the organization's financial data processing, control, and reporting requirements.
- Establish banking arrangements and maintain liaison with principal bankers. Develop a plan to minimize exposure to currency gains and losses;
- Supervise the disbursement of salaries and other office payments as well as the required expenses for project implementation.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualification and Requirement
Education and Experience
- High self-commitment to work for the betterment of the ASEAN and the ASEAN Foundation.
- Completion of bachelor or postgraduate degree in Finance or Accounting;
- Strong financial management skills; in both commercial and not-for-profit sectors in a senior management role combined with at least 12 years (bachelor degree) or at least 10 years (postgraduate degree) of progressive financial management experience in a medium to a large organization dealing with commercial corporations and multiple donors;
- Proven expertise in practical finance accounting and grant management, including financial planning, monitoring of grant compliance, and the management and establishment of internal controls; and
- Solid familiarity and experience with not-for-profit fund accounting including knowledge of rules and regulations governing the compliance/regulatory management of grants.
- Extensive fundraising and financial management experience with wide networking with private sectors.
- Sound programme management experience.
- Knowledge of AF Policies and Procedures
- Knowledge of Quickbook and SAP Accounting Software
Qualifications and Technical Skill
- Fluency in oral and written English and Bahasa Indonesia; and
- Advanced user-level computer skills and strong knowledge of various software including Excel, Powerpoint and Word.
- Experience coordinating multi-partner programs, and proven experience in partnership building and networking; and
- Excellent communication skills and track record in resource mobilization and donor relations.
- Knowledge on ASEAN and familiarity with government bureaucracy as well as diplomatic practices would be an asset.
- Knowledge of another ASEAN language other than Bahasa Indonesia; and
- Advanced financial skills to manage complex funding arrangements.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Effective time management skills, with demonstrated ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to support others in work planning, monitoring and review;
- Ability to lead the implementation of new systems for better coordination and delivery of work;
- Strong verbal communications skills and interpersonal skills, including the ability to speak publicly and work effectively as a member of a team;
- Demonstrated financial analysis skills, including the ability to analyze audited financials, balance sheets, and business plans of nonprofit organizations; facility with complex financial instruments desirable; and
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to chart one’s own direction collaboratively.
How to Apply
Send your most recent CV and cover letter stating your expected salary to [email protected] at the latest on 25 December 2019. Use “Finance Manager – Your Name” as the email subject.