Terms of Reference
ASEAN Foundation is an organisation from and for the people of ASEAN. The Foundation exists because of one vision: to build a cohesive and prosperous ASEAN Community. As an ASEAN’s body, the Foundation is tasked to support ASEAN mainly in promoting awareness, identity, interaction and development of the people of ASEAN. Through various projects under the thematic areas of Arts and Culture, Community Building, Education and Media, the ASEAN Foundation empowers the people of ASEAN to contribute to the building of the ASEAN Community. The ASEAN S&T Fellowship falls under the ASEAN Foundation’s thematic area on education.
For more info about the ASEAN Foundation, visit: www.aseanfoundation.org
The ASEAN Science and Technology (S&T) Fellowship is a partnership programme between the ASEAN Foundation, ASEAN Committee on Science, Technology and Innovation, ASEAN Secretariat and the U.S. Government through U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) that provides opportunities for scientists in Southeast Asia to apply their knowledge and analytical skills in promoting evidence-based policy making in the region. It is a three-year project which runs from October of 2017 to October 2020. Since its inception in 2014, the initiative has striven to support and encourage young scientists in Southeast Asia to work together with policymakers in integrating the ASEAN Community and advancing regional cooperation on ASEAN strategic priorities. The programme supports the implementation of the ASEAN Plan of Action on Science, Technology and Innovation 2016-2025 by highlighting its most important priorities as programme themes. Through this programme, fellows are appointed to the relevant ministries in their respective countries to continue research in their topics of expertise within the ASEAN Community’s prioritised areas. Modelled after the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Science and Technology Policy Fellowship Program and piloted by the ASEAN-U.S. Partnership for Good Governance, Equitable and Sustainable Development and Security (PROGRESS) project, the fellowship has thus far empowered 69 fellows. Under the management of the ASEAN Foundation, the fellowship is now in its fifth cycle. This year the themes are Digital Economy, Innovative Startups and Science, Technology and Innovation for the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals.
Further info on ASEAN S&T Fellowship, visit https://aseanstfellowship.aseanfoundation.org/
The ASEAN S&T Fellowship programme seeks to showcase the policy recommendations produced by 17 ASEAN S&T Fellows of 2019-20 cycle throughout their fellowship period in various government agencies in Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Viet Nam in a form of policy brief document. The policy brief document is also created with an aim to inspire scientists, researchers, practitioners and policymakers in ASEAN to support evidence-based policymaking in their respective countries and in the region. The final policy briefs will be disseminated across key stakeholders in the region, such as the ASEAN Secretariat, ASEAN Committee on Science, Technology and Innovation, donors and other partners. The Policy Brief Editor will be responsible for ensuring that the final product not only contains comprehensive policy recommendations but is also approachable and easy-to-understand. Apart from policy briefs, the Foundation will produce two project’s reports and one factsheet that covering the implementation milestones and featuring the success keys and lesson learned of the fellowship programme. The role of a Graphic Design Consultant is crucial in ensuring that these documents are well-designed and well-presented.
1) A well-designed collection of policy Briefs produced by 17 ASEAN S&T Fellows batch of 2019-20
2) A well-designed Final Project Report of ASEAN S&T Fellowship that covers three years of the project implementation
3) A well-designed Year 3 Project Report of ASEAN S&T Fellowship that covers 2019/20 project implementation
4) A well-designed impact factsheet of ASEAN S&T Fellowship
The Graphic Designer Consultant will perform the following tasks:
• Consult with ASEAN Foundation to create and suggest design ideas
• Provide suggestions on the best format and materials for the expected outputs
• Lead the development of design by understanding the message that the contents try to convey
• Ensure that the development of design complies to the branding regulation of ASEAN Foundation and USAID’s branding and marking guideline
• Review final layouts or templates and suggest improvements as needed
• Lead in the preparation of printing packages (all layout and design files) for printing of publications and print out one sample/mock up
• Provide basic graphic elements, like photographic images, infographic, illustration
• Ability to create efficient and attractive infographics
(up to 50 pages)
- 17 policy briefs written by 17 fellows covering various areas in science, technology and innovation. Each fellow will write one policy brief which consists of maximum two pages.
- 1-2 pages of Foreword
- 0.5-1 page of about the Fellowship
- 0.5-1 page of Thank You
- 1-2 pages of About the Organisers
- 2-3 pages of Fellows’ Testimonies
10-20 Sept 2020: receive the materials from AF
30 Sept 2020: submit the 1st draft to AF
1-15 Oct 2020: review and improvement process
16 Oct 2020: submit the final draft to AF
Final Report of ASEAN S&T Fellowship Progamme
(up to 100 pages)
The report has to comprehensively cover the entire programme implementation from 2017 to 2020.
25 Sept 2020: receive the material from AF
10 Oct 2020: submit the 1st draft to AF
11-28 Oct 2020: review and improvement process
29 Oct 2020: submit the final draft to AF
Annual Report Year 3 of ASEAN S&T Fellowship Progamme
(up to 80 pages)
The report is expected to cover the programme implementation in 2019-2020.
30 Sept 2020: receive the draft from AF
15 Oct 2020: submit the 1st draft to AF
16-28 Oct 2020: review and improvement process
29 Oct 2020: submit the final draft to AF
Factsheet of ASEAN S&T Fellowship
A factsheet containing impact figures, success stories and positive testimonials from the fellows to showcase the positive impact from the programme.
20 Sept 2020: receive the draft from AF
1 Oct 2020: submit the 1st draft to AF
2-24 Oct 2020: review and improvement process
25 Oct 2020: submit the final draft to AF
REMUNERATION AND SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS
The price proposal should indicate a “lump sum amount” which is “all inclusive” for the tasks specified in the terms of reference. Payments will be made upon submission and approval of deliverables as above, and certification by the Executive Director. The amount will depend on the abovementioned deliverables and supporting documents completed by the consultant and accepted/approved by the Executive Director. Outputs should be delivered within the agreed timeline. Without submission and approval of deliverables, the Consultant shall not receive any payment s/he invests time for this assignment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Ability to use various design software particularly the Adobe Suite including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator and CorelDraw.
• Excellent comprehension of branding
• Of necessity are creativity, originality, fluency of Ideas, information ordering and problem sensitivity
• Must have an eye for details
• Demonstrable ability to work under a tight schedule and deliver timely and quality materials • Experienced in designing publications and project’s reports
• Demonstrable ability to work under a tight schedule and deliver timely and quality materials
• Flexible in revision and accommodating inputs Desirable
• Previous working experience in handling USAID project documents
• Understand the branding and marking strategy of USAID
• Experience in designing Policy Briefs
HOW TO APPLY
Please send application document that consists of:
- Sample of Works/Portfolio
- Price Proposal