Terms of Reference
ASEAN Foundation is an organisation from and for the people of ASEAN. The Foundation exists because of one vision: to build a cohesive and prosperous ASEAN Community. As an ASEAN’s body, the Foundation is tasked to support ASEAN mainly in promoting awareness, identity, interaction and development of the people of ASEAN. Through various projects under the thematic areas of Arts and Culture, Community Building, Education and Media, the ASEAN Foundation empowers the people of ASEAN to contribute to the building of the ASEAN Community. The ASEAN Science and Technology (S&T) Fellowship programme falls under the ASEAN Foundation’s thematic area on education.
For more info about the ASEAN Foundation, visit: www.aseanfoundation.org
The ASEAN S&T Fellowship is a partnership programme between the ASEAN Foundation, ASEAN Committee on Science, Technology and Innovation, ASEAN Secretariat and the U.S. Government through U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) that provides opportunities for scientists in Southeast Asia to apply their knowledge and analytical skills in promoting evidence-based policy making in the region. It is a three-year project which runs from October of 2017 to October 2020. Since its inception in 2014, the initiative has striven to support and encourage young scientists in Southeast Asia to work together with policymakers in integrating the ASEAN Community and advancing regional cooperation on ASEAN strategic priorities.
The programme supports the implementation of the ASEAN Plan of Action on Science, Technology and Innovation 2016-2025 by highlighting its most important priorities as programme themes. Through this programme, fellows are appointed to the relevant ministries in their respective countries to continue research in their topics of expertise within the ASEAN Community’s prioritised areas. Modelled after the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Science and Technology Policy Fellowship Program and piloted by the ASEAN-U.S. Partnership for Good Governance, Equitable and Sustainable Development and Security (PROGRESS) project, the fellowship has thus far empowered 69 fellows.
Under the management of the ASEAN Foundation, the fellowship is now in its fifth cycle. This year the themes are Digital Economy, Innovative Startups and Science, Technology and Innovation for the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals.
Further info on ASEAN S&T Fellowship, visit https://aseanstfellowship.aseanfoundation.org/
The ASEAN S&T Fellowship programme seeks to showcase the policy recommendations produced by 17 ASEAN S&T Fellows of 2019-20 cycle throughout their fellowship period in various government agencies in Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand and Viet Nam in a form of policy brief document. The policy brief document is also created with an aim to inspire scientists, researchers, practitioners and policymakers in ASEAN to support evidence-based policymaking in their respective countries and in the region. The final policy briefs will be disseminated across key stakeholders in the region, such as the ASEAN Secretariat, ASEAN Committee on Science, Technology and Innovation, donors and other partners. The Policy Brief Editor will be responsible for ensuring that the final product not only contains comprehensive policy recommendations but is also approachable and easy-to-understand.
The Policy Brief Editor is expected to perform the following tasks:
• Edit, copy, edit, and proof-read the draft of the fellows’ policy brief document and produce a final version that will be ready for design and publication.
• The editing process will include a revision of the current text with tables and figures to achieve an optimal flow of information and presentation of the findings.
• The editing process might entail substantive re-drafting and synthesising of parts of the existing text in order to make the Policy Brief more readable and understandable to non-expert audiences. Design of the report is not included in the tasks of this consultancy.
Below are the outputs that the Consultant must achieve throughout the consultancy period:
- 17 policy briefs written by 17 fellows covering various areas in science, technology and innovation. Each fellow will write one policy brief which consists of maximum two pages.
- 1-2 pages of Foreword
- 0.5-1 page of about the Fellowship
- 0.5-1 page of Thank You
- 1-2 pages of About the Organisers
- 2-3 pages of Fellows’ Testimonies
10-20 Sept 2020: receive the materials from AF
30 Sept 2020: submit the 1st draft to AF
1-15 Oct 2020: review and improvement process
16 Oct 2020: submit the final draft to AF
REMUNERATION AND SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS
The price proposal should indicate a “lump sum amount” which is “all inclusive” for the tasks specified in the terms of reference. Payments will be made upon submission and approval of deliverables as above, and certification by the Executive Director. The amount will depend on the abovementioned deliverables and supporting documents completed by the consultant and accepted/approved by the Executive Director. Outputs should be delivered within the agreed timeline. Without submission and approval of deliverables, the Consultant shall not receive any payment s/he invests time for this assignment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• A University’s degree in Science, Engineering, Social Science, Communication, Development and other related degrees • Expert knowledge of written and spoken English
• Has knowledge in international publication standard
• Has extensive experience in report and content writing, preferably policy papers/brief • Has professional work experience in writing/copy-editing/proofreading contents related scientific research/knowledge translation/evidence-informed policy-making
• Ability to conclude, paraphrase and simplify technical/scientific output writing to be more friendly for wide audience especially policymakers
• Preferably to have research background or experience
• Willingness to liaise directly with the Fellows as the content writer
• Willingness to respond to suggestions within the review and feedback process
HOW TO APPLY
Please send application document that consists of: - CV - Cover Letter - Sample of Writings - Price Proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org, copying email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject: ASTF Policy Brief Editor. The deadline for application submission is 23 August 2020.