Term of References
ASEAN Data Science Explorers (ASEAN DSE) Enablement Session 2023
- The ASEAN Foundation and SAP value the importance of partnerships between the public, private, and plural sectors and the role that youths play as next-generation leaders and changemakers to contribute towards sustainable socio-economic developments in 10 ASEAN Member States (AMS)
- The ASEAN Foundation and SAP have built the strategic partnership since 2017. The partnership aims to create positive impact in ASEAN under two strategic pillars: Education and Entrepreneurship. One of the flagship initiatives under the partnership is the ASEAN Data Science Explorers (ASEAN DSE) programme.
- ASEAN DSE is a data analytics programme that aims to enhance awareness and appreciation of the ASEAN community amongst ASEAN youth. The programme also aims to equip ASEAN youth with 21st century skills, particularly data analytics skills, which are useful to strive in the digital economy and Industrial Revolution 4.0.
- Since the programme’s inception in 2017, it has empowered over 46,000 youths and 2,600 educators across the 10 AMS with data analytics skills and 21st century skills.
- There are two segments of ASEAN DSE programme: (1) data analytics competition and (2) enablement session (training session on SAP Analytics Cloud).
- ASEAN DSE competition is open to any youths with the age of 15 to 30 years old undertaking full-time education across the 10 AMS. Participants must be nationals of ASEAN member countries only. By using SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC), the youths participating in the competition are required to develop a storyboard comprising data-driven insights and recommendations which can address socio-economic issues across the six United Nations Sustainable Development Goals: (1) SDG 6 – Clean Water and Sanitation, (2) SDG 7 – Affordable and Clean Energy, (3) SDG 8 – Decent Work and Economic Growth, (4) SDG 11 – Sustainable Cities and Communities, (5) SDG 12 – Responsible Consumption and Production, (6) SDG 13 – Climate Action. Further information about ASEAN DSE competition, including participant eligibility, can be found on www.aseandse.org.
- ASEAN DSE enablement session is a training session aimed to learn about SAC and its functionalities. It is organised prior to and during the ASEAN DSE competition’s call for applications.
- The ASEAN Foundation is inviting all institutes of higher learning (universities, polytechnics, colleges) and high schools in the 10 ASEAN Member States to host the enablement session for their students, teachers, and lecturers. This enablement session is FREE OF CHARGE. Any institute of higher learning and high school keen to host the enablement session is required to send email to: [email protected] by 28 February 2023, expressing the interest to host the session.
The enablement session aims to:
• Get students, teachers, and lecturers familiar with SAC as one of the platforms for data analysis and analytics which they can use for their academic and non-academic purposes
• Allow students, teachers, and lecturers to explore data analytics skills and other relevant skills (critical thinking, analytical thinking, and problem-solving skills) using SAC
• Encourage eligible students to participate in ASEAN DSE competition: www.aseandse.org
• Encourage teachers and lecturers to be the mentors for their students to participate in ASEAN DSE competition
• Promote ASEAN awareness among students, teachers, and lecturers across the ASEAN region
• The enablement session targets students, teachers, and lecturers, who are keen to learn about SAC and data analytics
• The enablement session is led by an SAP employee having expertise in SAC
• Each session is conducted for about 4 – 5 hours with breaks
• 5 shared SAC accounts will be provided for all participants during the session with validity until 31 December 2023
• The session is conducted for 30-40 participants (students and teachers/lecturers)
• The host institution is required to select some out of the 30-40 participants to be the facilitators of the same enablement sessions (post-enablement sessions) for at least 200 students to be completed by 30 April 2023.
• Some participants who are appointed as the facilitators of the post- enablement session(s) will be provided with certificates of achievement as facilitators, issued by the ASEAN Foundation and SAP. Each of them will also be given a dedicated access to SAC for FREE. Normally the access costs appr. USD 21/month
What to be provided by an Institute of Higher Learning/High School to host the enablement session?
• Prepare a link to an online meeting platform (Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, etc.) to host a 4 to 5-hour virtual enablement session. Providing that the enablement session is organised onsite, a room for 30-40 persons with necessary ICT equipment (LCD projector) and Wi-Fi connection must be provided.
• Ensure that 30-40 participants have access to the Internet connection to access SAC throughout the entire enablement session
• Ensure that each participant has access to a laptop or PC throughout the whole session
• A MANDATORY COMMITMENT LETTER signed by a relevant university faculty member (dean/vice dean, president/vice president, rector/vice rector, or head of department) or school principal, highlighting the institute’s or high school’s commitment to conduct post-enablement session(s) for a minimum of 200 students by 30 April 2023 AND commitment to promote ASEAN DSE competition to their all students.
Benefits of Hosting the Enablement Session
• Free-of-charge virtual or onsite enablement session by SAP top trainers in the region
• Opportunity for participants to explore SAC, a user-friendly data analytics platform, to analyse data
• Opportunity for participants to practice hands-on exercises on data analytics with SAC
• Opportunity to learn SAC further independently through an open SAP learning platform after the enablement session. The SAC can be utilised for data analysis/analytics for academic and non-academic purposes
• Free, dedicated access to SAC for any students or lecturers able to carry out post-enablement session(s). Normally the access costs appr. USD 21/month per user
• 200++ free, dedicated access to SAC for 200++ students when these students participate in the post-enablement session(s) and register for the ASEAN DSE competition
• Host’s logo to be featured on the competition website: www.aseandse.org
Timeline (Tentative – Subject to change)
• 6 February 2023 – 31 March 2023: Enablement sessions with all committed and confirmed institutes of higher learning/high schools (specific dates will be informed later and dependent on the availability of SAP trainers)
• February – April 2023: Post-enablement session(s) for at least 200 students conducted by each committed and confirmed institute of higher learning/high school
Enablement Session 2022: Facts and Stats (involving 583 participants)
About the Technology
The SAP Analytics Cloud, formerly known as the SAP BusinessObjects Cloud, is a new generation of software as a service (SaaS) that redefines analytics in the cloud by providing business intelligence (BI), predictive, and planning capabilities in one solution. With the software, participants will be able to analyse data and come up with plausible recommendations. Check out the ASEAN DSE competition website to access tutorials and latest webinars to give you a better understanding of the software.